Champion is owned by Hanesbrands.
Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. Here we rate Champion “Not Good Enough”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It uses some lower-impact materials including organic cotton.
- There’s no evidence it’s taking actions to protect biodiversity in its supply chain.
- There’s no evidence it’s taking meaningful action to reduce or eliminate hazardous chemicals in manufacturing.
- To minimise waste, it recycles some of its textile offcuts.
Workers’ rights are central to our “People” rating, which assess brands’ policies and practices on everything from child labour to living wages and gender equality. Here we rate Hanes “Not Good Enough”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- Little of its supply chain is certified by crucial labour standards that help ensure worker health and safety, living wages, and other rights.
- It received a score of 21-30% in the 2022 Fashion Transparency Index.
- It has a basic policy to support diversity and inclusion in its direct operations and supply chain.
- It ensures some workers in the final production stage are paid living wages, though not through its entire supply chain.
- It’s taken insufficient steps to remediate its links to cotton sourced from Xinjiang, a region in China at risk of Uyghur forced labour.
Brands’ animal welfare policies and, where applicable, how well they trace their animal-derived products are the focus of our “Animals” rating. Here we rate Champion “It's a Start”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It’s published a general statement about minimising animal suffering but not a formal animal welfare policy.
- It appears to use leather.
- It doesn’t appear to use wool, down, fur, angora, exotic animal skin, or exotic animal hair.
- There’s no evidence it traces any animal-derived materials to the first production stage.
Based on all publicly available information we’ve reviewed, we rate Champion “Not Good Enough” overall.