Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. Here we rate Hessnatur “It's a Start”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It uses a medium proportion of lower-impact materials including organic cotton.
- The brand prioritises recyclable textiles by minimising its use of fibre blends.
- It’s eliminated some hazardous chemicals but has not made a commitment to eliminate all hazardous chemicals in manufacturing.
- There’s no evidence it has set a greenhouse gas emissions reduction target.
Workers’ rights are central to our “People” rating, which assess brands’ policies and practices on everything from child labour to living wages and gender equality. Here we rate Hessnatur “Good”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- Much of its final production stage is monitored by Fair Wear Foundation.
- Its Code of Conduct covers ILO Four Fundamental Freedoms principles.
- It provides a confidential complaints mechanism for workers in its supply chain to report suspected modern slavery.
- It claims to have a program to improve wages but there’s no evidence it ensures its workers are paid living wages in most of its supply chain.
- During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it disclosed adequate policies to protect workers in its supply chain from the virus.
Brands’ animal welfare policies and, where applicable, how well they trace their animal-derived products are the focus of our “Animals” rating. Here we rate Hessnatur “Not Good Enough”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It has a formal policy aligned with the Five Freedoms of animal welfare and clear implementation mechanisms in place.
- It appears to use leather, wool, down, exotic animal hair, and silk.
- It doesn’t appear to use fur, angora, or exotic animal skin.
- It traces some animal-derived materials to the first production stage.
Based on all publicly available information we’ve reviewed, we rate Hessnatur “It's a Start” overall.