Topman is owned by ASOS.
Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. Here we rate Topman “Not Good Enough”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It uses few lower-impact materials.
- It follows an unsustainable fast fashion model with quickly changing trends and regular new styles.
- There’s no evidence it minimises textile waste in its supply chain.
- There’s no evidence it’s taking actions to protect biodiversity in its supply chain.
Workers’ rights are central to our “People” rating, which assess brands’ policies and practices on everything from child labour to living wages and gender equality. Here we rate Topman “Not Good Enough”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- None of its supply chain is certified by crucial labour standards that help ensure worker health and safety, living wages, and other rights.
- It received a score of 51-60% in the 2022 Fashion Transparency Index.
- It has a limited policy to support diversity and inclusion in its direct operations and supply chain.
- There’s no evidence it ensures workers are paid living wages in its supply chain.
- During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it disclosed some policies to protect workers in its supply chain from the virus.
Brands’ animal welfare policies and, where applicable, how well they trace their animal-derived products are the focus of our “Animals” rating. Here we rate Topman “It's a Start”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It has a formal policy aligned with the Five Freedoms of animal welfare but few clear implementation mechanisms in place.
- It appears to use leather.
- It has a policy to source wool from non-mulesed sheep but doesn’t provide any evidence to verify its claims.
- It doesn’t appear to use down, fur, angora, exotic animal skin, or exotic animal hair.
- There’s no evidence it traces any animal-derived materials to the first production stage.
Based on all publicly available information we’ve reviewed, we rate Topman “Not Good Enough” overall.