Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. Here we rate VAUDE “Good”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It uses a medium proportion of lower-impact materials including recycled materials.
- To minimise waste, it recycles some of its textile offcuts.
- It’s set a science based target to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in both its direct operations and supply chain but there’s no evidence it is on track.
- It’s eliminated some hazardous chemicals but has not made a commitment to eliminate all hazardous chemicals in manufacturing.
Workers’ rights are central to our “People” rating, which assess brands’ policies and practices on everything from child labour to living wages and gender equality. Here we rate VAUDE “Good”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- Most of its final production stage is monitored by the Fair Wear Foundation.
- It traces most of its supply chain.
- It has a basic policy to support diversity and inclusion in its direct operations and supply chain.
- It ensures some workers in the final production stage are paid living wages.
- During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it disclosed adequate policies to protect workers in its supply chain from the virus.
Brands’ animal welfare policies and, where applicable, how well they trace their animal-derived products are the focus of our “Animals” rating. Here we rate VAUDE “It's a Start”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It’s published a general statement about minimising animal suffering but not a formal animal welfare policy.
- It appears to use leather.
- It uses recycled wool in some of its wool products.
- It uses some recycled down in its products.
- It doesn’t appear to use fur, angora, exotic animal skin, or exotic animal hair.
- It traces most animal-derived materials to the first production stage.
Based on all publicly available information we’ve reviewed, we rate VAUDE “Good” overall.