Balenciaga is owned by Kering.
Our “Planet” rating evaluates brands based on the environmental policies in their supply chains, from carbon emissions and wastewater to business models and product circularity. Here we rate Balenciaga “Good”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It uses some lower-impact materials including recycled materials.
- It’s set a science based target to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in both its direct operations and supply chain, and it claims it’s on track.
- It has a policy to protect biodiversity throughout its supply chain.
- While it offers resale of second hand products, there’s no evidence it’s taking further action to address textile waste in its supply chain.
Workers’ rights are central to our “People” rating, which assess brands’ policies and practices on everything from child labour to living wages and gender equality. Here we rate Balenciaga “It's a Start”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- Most of its final production stage happens in the European Union, a low/medium risk region for labour abuse.
- It received a score of 41-50% in the 2022 Fashion Transparency Index.
- It has a comprehensive policy to support diversity and inclusion in its direct operations but not in its supply chain.
- It claims to have a program to improve wages but there’s no evidence it ensures its workers are paid living wages in most of its supply chain.
- During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, it disclosed adequate policies to protect workers in its supply chain from the virus.
Brands’ animal welfare policies and, where applicable, how well they trace their animal-derived products are the focus of our “Animals” rating. Here we rate Balenciaga “Not Good Enough”. These are a few factors influencing its score:
- It has a formal policy aligned with the Five Domains of animal welfare.
- It appears to use leather, shearling, exotic animal hair, and silk.
- Responsible Wool Standard certifies some of the wool it sources.
- It doesn’t appear to use down, fur, angora, or exotic animal skin.
- It traces most animal-derived materials to the first production stage.
Based on all publicly available information we’ve reviewed, we rate Balenciaga “It's a Start” overall.